November 30, 2021 1 min read 2 Comments

Barley flour is milled from the hulls of barley. It is packed with different vitamins and minerals and is very nutritious. Barley flour is a relatively easy ingredient to use as a substitute as it works like any other flour. It is great to use as breading or as a thickening agent due to its texture. It is also a great flour for making bread. Although these are the most popular, it can be used in almost any recipe that calls for flour.
Preparation

Barley flour is an extremely versatile ingredient that can be used as a substitute for white flour in most recipes. A favorite of ours is our barley flour chocolate chip cookies recipe. This recipe calls for barley flour, unsalted butter, sucanat, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and salt. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Chill dough and roll them into medium-size dough balls and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350*. Keep cookies or cookie dough in the fridge for 3-4 days. Check out our full chocolate chip cookie recipe here.

 

❤ Try our USDA certified organic Barley Flour ❤

 


Thanks for reading this Be Still Farms Blog article. To sign up for more news/articles and/or recipes, click here. For more about us, click here. To shop our certified organic products, click here.

Please comment and share and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Kinsey Taylor
Kinsey Taylor


2 Responses

Michelle McNamara
Michelle McNamara

December 23, 2021

Hi Annie,

For yeast breads, use barley flour for no more than 20% of the total quantity of flour (the other 80% could be a hard wheat like white or red). For denser, flatter breads, a higher proportion of barely flour can be used, but no more then 50% of total flour. When making bars, cookies, or quick breads, barley flour can be substituted for about half of the total amount of flour required. Barley flour can also be used as an ingredient to thicken gravies, sauces, and stews.

I’m sorry but we don’t sell sorghum flour at this time and do not currently have recipes for that ingredient.

I hope you’ve found our reply helpful.

Blessings!

Annie
Annie

December 23, 2021

I have noted that barley flour is very heavy, what would you suggest we add to make it a bit lighter. I like the taste. Also do you have sorghum flour. ( perhaps recipes as well.)

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.


Also in Healthy & Organic Living Blog

Flaxseed vs. Chia Seeds: Unraveling the Health Benefits
Flaxseed vs. Chia Seeds: Unraveling the Health Benefits

February 21, 2024 2 min read

Flaxseed and chia seeds bring distinct nutritional benefits to your table. Flaxseed is rich in heart-healthy ALA and antioxidants, while chia seeds offer versatility with omega-3s, fiber, and essential minerals. Whether you prefer the nutty notes of flaxseed or the adaptability of chia seeds, both contribute to a nutritious and flavorful diet.

Easy and Simple: Cooking Great Northern Beans Step-by-Step
Easy and Simple: Cooking Great Northern Beans Step-by-Step

February 19, 2024 3 min read

Discover the simplicity of cooking Great Northern beans with our step-by-step guide. From soaking to seasoning, this process ensures a hassle-free and delicious outcome. Whether added to soups, salads, or enjoyed as a flavorful side dish, cooking Great Northern beans is a straightforward and rewarding culinary adventure. Embrace the ease, savor the creamy texture, and elevate your meals with these versatile and nutritious legumes. Happy cooking!

Protein Boost: Why Black Beans Are Your Meat-Free Solution
Protein Boost: Why Black Beans Are Your Meat-Free Solution

February 14, 2024 2 min read

Unveil the versatility and nutritional richness of black beans – your go-to meat-free solution. Packed with protein, fiber, and essential nutrients, black beans offer a delicious and sustainable choice. Explore their culinary adaptability, enjoy mouthwatering recipes, and embrace a healthier lifestyle with this plant-based powerhouse. Elevate your meals effortlessly on the journey to a conscious and wholesome way of living.