A creamy and delicious take on traditional risotto that is packed with not only flavor but protein and fiber as well.
• 1½ cups organic einkorn wheat berries
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ½ medium onion, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, diced
• ½ teaspoon of sea salt
• 1½ cups whole milk
• 1½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
• ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
• Fresh chives for garnish
1. (Optional) Soak the wheat berries in 3 cups of water for 8 to 10 hours.
2. Sautée the butter, oil, onion, garlic, and salt over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the onions are soft and begin to caramelize.
3. Add the milk and stock to saucepan and bring to a simmer (do not boil), then lower the heat to low and simmer.
4. Drain and rinse wheat berries (if they have been soaking) and add to saucepan. Simmer covered for 35 to 40 minutes or until the wheat berries are soft. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
5. Once the wheat berries are soft, take saucepan off heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese and serve.
Brought to you by Be Still Farms, where we have discovered that truly healthy foods, prepared as God intended, can taste far better than any processed imitation on which many of us were raised. To shop for these and other ingredients, click here.